Media coverage and campaign material from Werribee Residents Against Toxic Dump campaign, 1999 WRATD information click here
In 1999 Western Region Environment Centre was established following the successful campaign to prevent a toxic waste dump being established in Werribee. For more about the campaign you might like to read this book No Toxic Dump!: A Triumph for Grassroots Democracy and Environmental Justice by Paul Strangio. Published 2001.
Following the campaign to prevent the toxic waste dump WREC was granted a position on the Government’s Hazardous Waste Advisory Committee. This was the beginning of many years of ongoing campaigns and initiatives to support the environment, particularly around waste management.
An office was established in Synnot Street, Werribee in 1999 and the organisation was incorporated in 2001.
Policy and advocacy work
- Substantial role in developing an improved toxic waste landfill policy for Victoria. More info here
- Assisted in the launch of the Green Wedge Coalition
- Supported the Blue Wedge and opposed the channel dredging process
- Harry van Moorst presented at several conferences and symposia concerning landfill, waste management alternatives and climate change
- Appeared on behalf of Bulla residents at their VCAT hearing in opposition to the extension of Bulla tip
- Presented submission on behalf of Point Cook residents opposing further housing development of the Point Cook Green Wedge
- Met with Government ministerial advisers and MPs concerning waste management issues
- Membership of EPA’s Community Reference Group (CRG), Wyndham Landfill CRG and Tullamarine Landfill CRG
- Support to the ongoing campaing on Tullamarine’s Toxic Dump in partnership with Terminate Tulla Toxic Dump Action Group Inc.
- Established a Ecological Footprint programme involving schools and community
- Growing your own foods as part of Shoestring Gardening
- Sustainable Gardening project
- Soft Plastic Recycling as part of a LitterWatch project
- Participated in Sustainability Expos with Wyndham City Council
- Stalls and displays at Werrama Festival in Werribee
- Wyndham Solar Boat Challenge in partnership with Model Solar Victoria
- Solar City Expo 2017 in partnership with Australian Electric Vehicle Association
- Established the Eco Living Centre at 28 Ridge Drive, Wyndham Vale
- Established Shoestring Gardening
- Part of the steering committee to establish Werribee Park Heritage Orchard
- Helped establish Beach Patrol 3030 program for Wyndham
Campaigns and partnerships
- No Coal Mining in Melbourne’s West campaign, also supporting the work of Friends of the Earth and Environment Victoria on Coal Action campaigns
- LitterWatch an alliance / campaign to protect our waterways in partnership with Werribee River Association, NatureWest, Crossroads, Melbourne Water and Wyndham Council
- RePower divesting campaign and supporting the local activism group in Wyndham
- Stop Adani and supporting the local activism group in Wyndham
- Friends of the Forest Collective with Friends of the Earth